The Brew-Hammond Energy Centre, TBHEC, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, KNUST, and her partners in Norway, the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), and The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU, Alesund, are undertaking a project dubbed, Upgrading Education and Research Capacity in Renewable Energy Technologies (UPERCRETs). The project is hosted by KNUST, and was lunched on the 24th of July, 2015, by the then Vice-Chancellor of KNUST, Professor Willian-Otoo Ellis. The project is managed by Dr. Lena Dzifa Mensah, a Fellow of TBHEC and a Lecturer of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
The overall objective of the project is to develop the capacity of KNUST staff to sustain the current masters programme in Renewable Energy Technologies, hosted by the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Consequently, 7 PhD students will be trained in Sustainable Energy Technologies, and 3 post-doctoral fellowships are also available to help further enhance the research capabilities of existing KNUST staff. Special provisions have been made to enhance female participation in the programme.
As part of project activities to enhance the relevance of the programme content to industrial needs, a seven-member Advisory Team has been instituted comprising members from different segments of the energy sector value chain, who will meet once a year to review programme content, and make an input into research topics.
The UPERCRETs project is funded by the Norwegian Development Cooperation Agency (NORAD), under its initiative for collaboration in Energy and Petroleum (EnPe) education and research.
- The project value is NOK 8.5 million (approximately US$ 1.3 million).
The project implementation team include the following:
- The Provost, College of Engineering;
- The Director of the Energy Center;
- The Head of Department, Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Richard Opoku, Department of Mechanical Engineering;
- Dr. Francis Kemausuor, Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering;
- Dr. Reuben Tamakloe, Department of Physics;
- Dr. Eunice Akyereko Adjei, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Prof. Muyiwa S. Adaramola, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Prof. Rasak Seidu, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
The project is training PhD students in Sustainable Energy Technologies.
Click on the links below to view profile and publications of the PhD researchers.
- Fabrice Neba Abunde
- Maame Tabuaa Ankoh
- Gloria Asante
- Denis Edem K. Dzebre
- Saeed Abdul-Ganiyu
- Emma Osei Yeboah
- Frank Nyarko
- WISTEM GH 2019
List of Equipment
- HPC Workstation
- AC/DC Clamp Meter
- 3 Phase Power Analyzer
- Vane thermo Anemometer
- Airflow Meter
- Tachometer counter
- Temperature and Relative Humidity Meter
- Angle Finder
- Stainless Steel Protractor
- AC/DC Clamp Meter
- Biogas Analyzer
Dr. Lena Dzifa Mensah, Coordinator, UPERCRETs Project