Emmanuel Wendsongré Ramde
Department Mechanical Engineering
Ing. Dr. Emmanuel Ramde is a Mechanical Engineer, a Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency specialist and project monitoring and evaluation expert. He is presently a Senior lecturer and the Director of The Brew-Hammond Energy Centre, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana. Since 2012, Ing. Dr. Ramde has served as the Ghana National Representative of the African Network for Solar Energy (ANSOLE) and also as the Vice Regional Representative of ANSOLE in West Africa. He speaks both English and French fluently in addition to his mother tongue, Moore. He is a reviewer in a couple of journals including Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development and British Journal of Applied Technologies. He has been coordinating a couple of Energy projects and conducting consultancy jobs in the energy sector and has been consulting for UNIDO, USAID, AFREC etc.
On-going: MBA Finance KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana
2013: PhD degree in Energy/Mechanical Engineering 2iE, Ouagadougou/ KNUST, Kumasi
2004: Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana
1998: Master’s degree in Pure Physics (Maitrise), University of Ouagadougou
1997: Bachelor’s degree in Pure Physics (Licence), University of Ouagadougou
1996: Second-year diploma in Physics and Chemistry, University of Ouagadougou
August 2017, Director of The Brew-Hammond Energy Centre, KNUST
March 2017 to date: External assessor and moderator, Plant Engineering programme, Faculty of Engineering, Kumasi Technical University, Ghana
December 2016, January 2018, External examiner for PhD viva, University of Ouagadougou
September 2016: Visiting lecturer, Ho Technical University, Ho, Ghana
May 2016 to date: External examiner and moderator, Department of Energy and Environmental Engineering, University of Energy and Natural Resources, Sunyani, Ghana
October 2015 to date: Member of Scientific and Pedagogical Advisory Board and visiting lecturer of “Ecole superieure des Metiers des Energies Renouvelables, ESMER”
2014 to date: Coordinator of the online MSc programme on Renewable Energy Technologies, Department of Mechanical, KNUST
2012 to 2014: Head of Section, Thermofluids and Energy Systems, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, Ghana.
2012 to date: Senior Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST
April 2005 to Sept. 2011: Lecturer at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST.
2003 to 2005: Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, KNUST.
2008-2009: Moderator for Koforidua Polytechnic examinations, Ghana.
2008 to date: External examiner and Visiting lecturer at the International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE) in Burkina Faso.
February-July 2010: Visiting scholar at the University of Michigan under the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholarship (UMAPS)
1999-2000: Teaching of Physics’ practical works at University of Ouagadougou (Burkina).
FIELDS OF SPECIALTY
Air conditioning and Refrigeration, Renewable Energy Conversion, Solar Thermal Technologies, Wind energy Technology, Energy conversion and utilization, Thermodynamics, Applied Thermodynamics, Heat transfer, Fluids Mechanics, Turbo-machinery, Aerodynamics, Pneumatics and Hydraulics, Mechanical Engineering Laboratory.
- Combari, D.U., Zerbo, I., Zoungrana, M., Ramde, E.W. and Bathiebo, D.J. (2017): Modelling Study of Magnetic Field Effect on the Performance of a Silicon Photovoltaic Module. Energy and Power Engineering, 9, 419-429.
- Ouedraogo, A., Barandja, V.D.D.B., Zerbo, I., Zoungrana, M., Ramde, E.W. and Bathiebo, D.J. (2017): A theoretical study of radio wave attenuation through a polycrystalline silicon solar cell. Turk J Phys. (2017) 41: 314-325
- Ramde, E.W., Nussbaumer, P. and Bazilian, M., 2015. Measuring and reporting on energy poverty: insights from West African countries. African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, 7(6), pp.509-517.
- N’Tsoukpoe, K.E., Azoumah, K.Y., Ramde, E., Fiagbe, A.Y., Neveu, P., Py, X., Gaye, M. and Jourdan, A., 2016. Integrated design and construction of a micro-central tower power plant. Energy for Sustainable Development, 31, pp.1-13.
- Ramde E, Azoumah Y, Brew-Hammond A, Rungundu A, Tapsoba G. (2013): Site ranking and potential assessment for Concentrating Solar Power in West Africa. Natural Resources, Vol. 4 No. 1A, 2013, pp. 146-153. doi: 10.4236/nr.2013.41A019
- Miller V. B., Ramde E. W., Gradoville R. T., Schaefer L. A. (2011): Hydrokinetic Power for Energy Access in Rural Ghana; Renewable Energy 36 (2011) 671-675
- Azoumah Y; Ramde E. W., Tapsoba G, Thiam S. (2010): Siting guidelines for Concentrating Solar Power Plants in the Sahel: case study of Burkina Faso; Solar Energy 84 (2010) 1545–1553.
- Simo Tala J. V., Ramde E. W., Coulibaly Y. (2009): Simulation and analysis of a solar desiccant evaporative cooling system; Journal of Engineering and Technology Vol. 2 & 3, 2009 pp 12-23.
- Ramde E. W. and Forson, F. K. (2007): Computer aided sizing of direct mode Natural Convection Solar Crop Dryers. Journal of Engineering and Technology Vol.1 pp 1-
- Ramde E. W.; Azoumah Y; Rungundu A., Tapsoba G. (2011): Solar Thermal Power Plants in West Africa: Site selection and potential assessment; Proceedings of “Journées Scientifiques du 2iE”; Ouagadougou; Burkina Faso.
- Ramde E. W; K. Darkwah; Azoumah Y; Bagre A (2009): Empirical correlations of irradiation and weather data at Kumasi; Proceedings of ISES Solar World Congress 2009, Johannesburg, South Africa; pp. 134-141.
- Ramde E. W; Bagre A; Azoumah Y (2009): Solar energy in Burkina Faso: potential and barriers; ISES Solar World Congress 2009, Johannesburg, South Africa pp. 1781-1795.
SELECTED OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Ramde E. W., Addo A., Edwin A., Ato Quansah D., Asumadu-Yeboa K., Quarm E., Agyapong-Fordjour F. (2015): Technical Guide for the Design, Installation and Operation of Solar PV-Based Mini-Grid for Rural Electrification in Africa;
- Ramde E. W., Addo A., Ato Quansah D., Essandoh E. O., Yeboah Osei E., Nyarko D. O., Owusu-Kusi E. (2015): Technical Guide for the Design, Installation, Operation, and Maintenance of Grid Connected Small Wind Farm in Africa
- Ramde E. W.; (2013): Concentrating Solar Power in West Africa: site selection and potential assessment; PhD Thesis (2013 )in Energy/Mechanical Engineering; Jointly with Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and Institut International d'Ingénierie de l'eau et de l'environnement (2iE)
- Ramde E. W.; (2003): Software for the design and sizing of direct mode natural convection solar crop dryers; MSc Thesis (2003) in Mechanical Engineering, Thermofluids and Energy systems; Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)
- Ato-Quansah D; Ramde E. W.; (2010): Potentials, Opportunities and Barriers for the Deployment and Usage of Solar Energy Technologies and Services in West Africa Discussion Paper prepared for ECREEE/UNIDO Regional Forum on the ECOWAS Solar Energy Initiative; 18 to 21 October 2010, Dakar, Senegal.
- Darkwah L., Brew-Hammond A., Ramde E. W., Kemausuor F. and Addo, A. (2007), “Biofuels Industry Development in Africa” Background Paper prepared for African Union (AU)/ Brazil/ UNIDO High Level Seminar on Biofuels in Africa, 30 July-1 August 2007, Addis Ababa.
- Technical guideline for PV Rural Electrification (2009); book prepared for the Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA), the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Ghana and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Ghana, under the project “Human Resource Development for Disseminating PV Systems in the Republic of Ghana”.
- PV testing Manual (2009); book prepared for the Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA), the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Ghana and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Ghana, under the project “Human Resource Development for Disseminating PV Systems in the Republic of Ghana”.